Tuesday, June 3, 2008

some progress and an odd glitch

I actually have the game loaded still right now, but I am taking a quick break after some bafflement.

Backtrack a bit. It took me several hours to play 3 days in the main house. Granted, it's a pretty full house, and I threw a few (single-person) community visits in there, but honestly, it seemed to drag quite a bit. I think I'm still feeling unfocussed. Also, there were a few Sims Not Listening To Me issues that necessitated more pauses than usual. Like, "I said go play with your brother, not walk upstairs and take a bubble bath!"

I swear I'm removing combo shower/bathtubs from people's houses if they don't cut this out. Bubblebath should not be the default choice, for crying out loud.

Then I moved on to Abby's house, and with a new influx of money was going to expand/redesign it again as last time I had to still keep it a little snug. I was about halfway through when I encountered the weirdest glitch I've ever seen.

There is one, single, solitary floor square that, when I try to put something on it, rotates the item 45 degrees and shifts it off center. I... really have no idea why. Nothing I could think of off the top of my head worked. My guess is there's some ghost object (or person?) but trying a force errors with the FFS debugger didn't fix it and a force all errors (instead of just in-world) teleported everyone home from work/school, which, uh, I quit without saving, because, no. ISTR there's a stuck object nuker somewhere (probably MATY) but I don't have it, assuming I'm not hallucinating it. I'll go look later.

In the meantime, I seem to be able to play okay, it's just that I had to rethink my redesign, which luckily I hadn't saved my progress on so I could restart. But that took a while longer because of that. I think after the kids leave for college, I'm going to move Abby & Bridget out of the lot and destroy the lot and move them into a new one... I was going to move one of the kids home with them again after college (probably their youngest) so it'll probably be roughly the same basic contents, but a new design.

Speaking of moving lots, originally I was going to move the main house every few generations in part to force depreciation loss to their accumulated wealth, but the house there has sorta frankensteinly grew and I don't like it, so I'm thinking that they're gonig to move when whomever is heir comes back from college, which is a generation earlier than I'd planned. That's okay, it'll help eat up the death benefits.

Speaking of college, originally I was going to skip two people but then I remembered one of them had to go for a LTW so, never mind. Before I send anyone, I'm going to take another look at my rental housing... I'm thinking of building some 3- and 4-bedroom ones. Right now I've just got 1- and 2-bedroom ones.

Speaking of death benefits, yes, that means one of the founding gen is gone. I expected the other to go before I was done with their turn in the rotation but apparently there's one more day left.

Anyhow. I've got time to do a bit more, might finish this house before my honey comes home. So I'm going to go do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment