Monday, June 2, 2008

Blather Blather Blather

I'm so behind. I just... haven't loaded the game. I have skimmed the updates on my list but not read in depth or (obviously) left comments. Oh, except Miranda's BC, I need to go read that. I actually do want to play, I just keep getting distracted by other things. Like, um, I was going to play last week, but then I found the FMVs/cutscenes from a game I couldn't finish, so I was watching those, and then it was suddenly 3 days later...

I'm also still having issues with the entire concept of Free Time and Apartments. On the one hand, not only do I not want SecuROM on my machine, but I refuse to reward EA for releasing buggy products, being slow to patch, forcing one to buy subsequent EPs to get fixes for stuff they broke in earlier EPs (which they just did again with the FT patch, I noticed), and putting invasive, security-hole ridden, crappy DRM on their products and proposing to put even worse on future ones.

On the other hand, Free Time has some things I'd really like to play with (hobbies really do seem like they'd be fun, for one), and Apartments, while I'm not interested in the concept so much, has SPIRAL STAIRCASES. And a some other things I wish they'd had earlier.

So... sorta sad to do without, but I really don't want them having my money. For FT, I have been waffling about buying used and using third-party fixes to keep my computer uncompromised and my game running with minimal trouble. I just don't know. It's making me a bit cranky, too. Also, last time I installed a new EP mid-legacy, it ate my legacy. This time I've got better backups so I could revert but money is very tight around here so if I buy something I damn well better get use out of it.

I know there's, erm, money-free options, but I prefer to not use those even in these circumstances. If for no other reason than it validates gaming company's views on DRM. Not that DRM really stops those things. But that's another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment