Friday, September 26, 2008

glitches and other things

Today is apparently the day for weird friggin' glitches.

First, my computer. I've been troubles off and on with my browser, probably because the new Windows updates are doing weird things to my old browser. I haven't updated because I really don't like tabbed browsing very much and anyhow I don't really like what I've seen of the new IE interface (and, no, I don't like Firefox, either), though I guess I probably really should. But today I started suddenly having insane slowdown on page loads. I'd suspect adware normally but I just scanned the computer, so I didn't think that was it.

So I tried to reboot. It froze after reboot. I hit the reset button. It got into Windows and then hit an error code. Auto-reboot. Freeze. Turn computer off and on. Stop error. Force it to load with last known good config. This time it comes up and stays up... and immediately asks me if I want to keep blocking svchost. No. No, I don't. So apparently something got glitched up with the firewall. I hope that was all it was...

...because after that I went back into the Sims. I'm playing Brooks. Brooks is, as you may remember, a Romance Sim. Brooks is dating a lot of people. One of them is a Service Sim. This Service Sim was resolutely not showing in his phone book. I tried running the FFS debugger (fixed memory stuff and forced errors). No dice. I tried using a summoner. She wasn't showing. So, fine. I tried calling for the service to see what would happen. It generated a new service sim... but then the original showed up in his phonebook again. So I invited her over for a date, and to fulfill Wants on both sides, tried a tickle.

It failed. They fell out of crush. I have a picture of it mutually happening. Then she rejected the Gossip. Then I made her selectable, and discovered she had a negative relationship with him... probably havign started at zero somehow, even though she was still marked as having the crush, as evidence by the mutual falling out of crush.

Oy. It didn't go well after that. I have a flaming bag of poo.

I hope this was some bizarre glitch that coincidentally happened on a day when I had another glitch, and not some sign my computer is having issues. I don't know wtf would cause something like this though, other than the character file being wonky... though she does still seem to know all the other people she should (i.e., the rest of the family). Also, I really hope there isn't any other corruption, because I've had enough of legacies blowign up because of corruption, thanks.

In other news, TD#5 is shot and I'm going to work on the actual update over the weekend. I still have a metric ass-tonne of college left though. It's like that hypothetical halfway to infinity thing, where no matter how often I play, I always have an infinite amount left. I swear.

Also, my copy of Free Time is sitting waiting to be installed. It gets to go on waiting until I'm done with college, tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment